Assess Your Readiness For Coaching
Coaching is a powerful life-‐changing tool, but it’s only truly effective when you are ready for it. The following list will give you a pretty good feeling about your readiness for coaching at this point of your life (feel free to contact me for the complete Coaching Readiness Assessment Questionnaire).
You are highly coachable, it’s a good moment to get a coach, and you will benefit a lot form coaching, if:
You know/believe that:
- You have unrealized potential.
- You’re capable of having a life and career you truly deserve.
- You have a real desire for change.
- You would like more … or less… of something (anything) in your life.
You are open to:
- Doing things in new and better ways.
- Discovering more about yourself.
- Contributions and collaboration of others and new perspectives.
You are prepared to:
- Tackle some tough issues to get to where you want to be.
- Take the lead on issues that are important to you.
- Work on yourself, learn, grow and become better, more (of anything that you desire).
- Work outside your comfort zone.
You are committed to:
- Being honest during the coaching – say what is really true for you.
- Devoting the time needed to make it work; doing homework and being prepared
- Making the investment in your future.
It’s also helpful to be aware of different stages we go through on our way to a change:
- Pre-awareness – at this stage we have no intention of changing and frequently don’t even perceive that there’s an issue (or prefer not to perceive it).
- Awareness – we are aware of the issue. We think about doing something – this stage can last for years (as we all know).
- Action – we are committed to a change and take an action.
In what areas of your life are you at stage 1, 2 or 3 of change?
What is it you are avoiding to be aware of?
What is it you have been thinking of doing?
What are the actions you already took?
Not all people are ready to be coached at a particular point in their lives. Others may not be coachable at all. The brief and simple questionnaire below is a simple tool that is intentionally designed to help you and I determine if coaching or healing is more suitable as a starting point.